Moving Out Your Parents House? You May Need a New Car Insurance Policy

Can I Stay on My Parents Auto Insurance if I Move Out? 

If you drove in high school, there is a good chance that you were on your parents’ auto insurance policy. If you are planning on moving out of your family home, whether you are going to college or moving out after graduation, you may need to find your own auto insurance in Renton, WA. Take a look at these key points to keep in mind.

Are you going to college?

If you are traveling across the state or country for college and plan on living in an on-campus dorm, you may be treated as though you’re continuing to live at home. It’s possible that you will be able to stay on your parents’ insurance even if you move into an off-campus apartment near your university. If you leave your vehicle at your parents’ home while you are away, you may be able to save a substantial amount of money.

Are you leaving the state?

If you are planning on moving out of the state, it is imperative that you obtain your own insurance policy. Insurance companies only provide policies within the state they operate in unless they have several branches across the nation. Talk to your insurer to see if this is an option, otherwise, start looking for a new policy of your own.

What about your rates?

Typically, the younger you are, the more insurers will see you as a risk on the roads. That means higher premiums. Drivers under the age of 25 tend to pay higher rates compared to other drivers with similar records. There are ways to show insurers that you are responsible, however. Getting married or having a good credit score may help you get a better rate on your own than you do on your parents’ policy.

Remember that the consequences of not having auto insurance are far worse than buying a new policy. To get started on your tailored car insurance policy, talk to the professionals at Humble & Davenport Insurance, serving Renton and surrounding cities in Washington.

Comments are closed.