Is Your Business Protected from Riots?

With the recent news about riots and looting in Ferguson, Missouri following the shooting of unarmed teenager Michael Brown, it is a good time to think about the safety of your company. Although nobody can ever be completely ready for all the problems that come along with riots, there are some steps that you can take to protect your business if it is ever surrounded by riots. Make sure you look into the following insurance policies to protect your business in case of a riot.

  • Property coverage. Typical commercial property insurance provides coverage in case of riots and looting. Most business owner’s insurance policies provide property coverage, which considers civil commotion and looting a named peril. Vandalism and fire are also covered under the property coverage portion of a business owner’s policy.
  • Business interruption. If you are forced to suspend the operation of your business due to a riot, a business interruption insurance policy will provide compensation for the lost business income. It is important to keep in mind that the coverage will only come into play if there is severe physical damage to the property that does not allow the business to open. It will also provide coverage if the police or fire department instruct people to keep away from the business, such as enacting a curfew restriction.
  • Worker’s compensation. If one of your employees was injured due to the rioting, your worker’s compensation policy will provide coverage for their medical bills and lost wages while they are not able to work.

For all of your business insurance needs to ensure that you have the right amount of coverage for any unfortunate situation, contact the insurance professionals at Humble & Davenport Insurance in Renton, Washington. We will work with you and your business to ensure that you have the right insurance policies for your specific situation.

Comments are closed.