Which Disasters Are Covered by My Homeowners Insurance?

Is Your Home Covered Against Disasters?

 When you are looking for homeowners insurance, you will want to see whether the policy covers natural disasters, such as hurricanes and earthquakes. While standard homeowners insurance in Renton, WA covers a wide range of situations, not all “acts of God” are covered.  

A standard home insurance policy will cover your building and belongings from the following:

  • Fire or lighting
  • Windstorm or hail
  • Explosion
  • Riot
  • Damage caused by aircraft
  • Damage caused by vehicles
  • Vandalism
  • Smoke
  • Theft
  • Falling object
  • Weight of ice, snow, or sleet
  • Accidental discharge of water or steam within the plumbing system

As you can see, most standard policies cover disasters that would be very expensive to fix out-of-pocket. However, every policy has its limits. Most standard insurance policies do not provide cover for the following mass-destruction events:

  • Flood
  • Earthquakes

Not all sources of flooding are treated in the same way, since flooding can come from rivers, coastal surges, sinkholes, and even plumbing failures. For the most part, all homeowner policies specifically exclude flood-related damage, except for cases related to flooding from damaged plumbing infrastructure, like leaking pipes. In order to protect your home from floods, you must acquire flood insurance separately.

Similarly, homeowners will have the option to purchase earthquake insurance separately to receive protection against earthquake damages. Even in areas of the country not known for seismic activity, homeowners will have the option of purchasing this coverage.

Understanding your coverage can help you to better protect your property. Are you ready to find the right home insurance policy? Visit the professionals at Humble & Davenport Insurance to get started on your tailored home insurance.

Comments are closed.