Should You Be Concerned About Your Home’s Mold?

When Mold in the Home Should Concern You 

Whether you own a home, condo or business, mold can be a problem. If you have allergies, mold can be harmful to your health as well as unsightly. Mold can be a serious problem for homeowners, although many don’t start to think about cleaning it up until the problem is out of hand. While your homeowners insurance in Renton, WA can help protect your home, know how to handle your home’s mold issue.


Mildew and mold are both fungi, but mildew is not as invasive or troublesome as other types of mold. Mildew is typically found in wet areas and looks grey-ish white, and may even turn brown. As it only lives on the surface of the material, it’s easy to brush off and clean up. Mildew can be cleaned away with bleach or vinegar.


The warning signs of mold invasion are often hard to spot, which is why it can quickly sneak up on a homeowner. The first clue you have mold is a foul odor. If you notice a musty and pungent smell, it could be that mold is hiding somewhere. Now is the time to get out the flashlight and start hunting.

Mold will appear furrier and darker than mildew, although it can grow in a variety of colors from bright reds to dark greens. It can be mistaken for a patch of dirt, making the mold issue easy to overlook. Unfortunately, if you do spot mold in the home, it’s likely that there is more hiding in areas that aren’t visible.

Small mold problems in the bathroom can be handled with a little elbow grease. However, for larger, more invasive problems, always seek proper professional help. If you’re worried that the mold problem is too big for you to handle, don’t hesitate in calling a professional.

Do you need reliable homeowners insurance that you can count on? Visit the professionals at Humble & Davenport Insurance to get started on your tailored home insurance. Call us today to get started.

Comments are closed.